English Português Area of the contractor

The Farm

Since 1854

The Farm Our History

The Farm

On the year 1821, the Brigadier Manuel Rodrigues Jordao bought a piece of land from the legendary "Sesmaria do Morro Azul" that belonged to the Galvao de Franca brothers and to Manuel de Barros Ferraz. His sons, the Baron of Sao Joao do Rio Claro, founded in part of this lands Santa Gertrudes Farm. The name was in memory of his mother Dona Gertrudes Galvao de Moura Lacerda.

After his death, his widow, the Baroness Dona Maria Hipolita dos Santos marries the Marquis de Tres Rios, making him the second owner. Through his efforts, the railway reaches the farm (plantation) and brings along great progress and development to the whole region.

After the death of both the Marquis and his wife, having left no inheritors, the farm is inherited by her sister, Dona Antonia dos Santos Silva Prates, who was married to the Count de Prates. It was exactly at this time and through the Count’s initiative, a very affluent and an entrepreneur, that the farm reaches its peak.

Between the years 1890 and 1910 the Count was able to build one of the greatest Coffee Plantations Brazil has ever seen, with cutting edge technology when it came to processing and commercialization of its production. The plantation was self sufficient and had, among other things, its own carpentry, saw mill, smith’s, silos, processing machines, warehouses, butcher` s, dams, aqueducts, church, watchtowers, school, movie theater, steam motors that produced the necessary supply of electricity and had also its own currency.

The whole structure is still preserved, with over 22,000 m2, harmoniously designed by a French architect that over a century ago, applied here the rules of a director plan.

During the first decades of the 20th century, the plantation was always considered a model and for that reason always received illustrious visitors that would come from the capital by train and be received by the Count on the nearby village, formerly called Gramado, today called Santa Gertrudes, and would then be transported to the plantation on impeccable and shining carriages.


The farm, with over a century of history and its French architecture, receives visitors and takes them into a journey going back to the peak of coffee production. Showing them the whole process, from harvesting to shipment to the railroad, with full explanations on all intermediate processes. The whole tour, lasting about 2 hours, will give the visitors a full picture of how the work was done at the time when all transportation still depended heavily on mules and ox carts, electricity was generated by steam engines and water wheels and the labor force had to be imported from Europe, along with all the materials used for building the whole complex, like, roof tiles, iron bars and cement.

Visits must be booked beforehand and groups with at least 45 people. Fee:
Visit and a delicious farm style breakfast: R$ 25,00 per person.
Visit and lunch: R$ 45,00 per person.

Our History

Santa Gertrudes Farm, with over a century of history, 1854 - 2001, in contrast to many other coffee farms which had a short period of life, overcame all the social and economic crises and changes which happened during this period making it into a rare case of its time.

Based in the solid fortune of the owner's family, which allowed investments over long periods in cultures and machineries, in the efficient administrative organisation, in the faithful observance of the legislation, many times anticipating the government when it came to working conditions, in the good work relations which never generate any acute crisis, Santa Gertrudes Farm always tried to adapt instead of succumbing to the new circumstances.

Coffee is gone, but the existence of this farm as an institution continues, and the decadence has not yet fallen onto it. This farm constitutes therefore a landmark in the agrarian history of São Paulo.

Santa Gertrudes Farm originated from the Sesmaria do Morro Azul (sesmarias were large chunks of land which were given by the Emperor to basically to the few who had enough money to develop the land into productive farms; this particular sesmaria, Morro Azul - Blue Mount - was granted, in 1817, to Joaquin Galvão de França, José Galvão de França, inhabitants of Itu, and Manoel de Barros Ferraz from Piracicaba) just like other important sugar cane and coffee farms as Ibicaba, Morro Azul and Paraguaçu.

As Ibicaba, which belonged to Nicolau De Campos Vergueiro, Santa Gertrudes Farm also had as a starting point the lands of a sugar cane mill. Its origins is in the small Laranja Azeda farm that Amador de Lacerda Rodrigues Jordão (son of Brigadier Manoel Rodrigues Jordão, one of the most notable men of its time, both for its wealth and prestige, and of Dona Gertrudes Galvão de Moura Lacerda, honorary lady of the imperial palace, representative figure of the São Paulo society of the XIX century and owner of some farms.

Amador de Lacerda Rodrigues Jordão was married in 1852 to Maria Hypólita Dos Santos Silva, daughter of the Baron of Itapetininga; he was honored in 1858 with the title of Baron de São João do Rio Claro; he was a provincial member of the house of representatives for many legislatures and a general member of the house of representatives), received after his mother Gertrudes died in 1848.

The small Laranja Azeda Farm had its name changed by Amador de Lacerda Rodrigues Jordão to Santa Gertrudes Farm in homage to his mother. But this designation started to predominate in the documentation beginning in 1856. Initially dedicated to the sugar cane culture, focusing in the production of sugar and cachaça, Santa Gertrudes Farm, little by little started to cultivate coffee as well.

In 1857 the farm appears in the documentation as sugar cane and coffee plantation, occupying 3,918.0 acres. Only in the year of 1861 coffee clearly appears as the main agricultural activity of the city of Rio Claro, the property produced 6000 arrobas (1 arroba = 60 kilos) of coffee, 2000 of sugar and 30 pipes of cachaça.

However, by 1870, only 20 years after its formation, Santa Gertrudes Farm came to be one of the greatest of São Paulo and its owner one of the biggest farmers of its time with very fertile and productive land. When the Baron of São João do Rio Claro died in 1873, the farm passed to his wife, Maria Hipólita Dos Santos Silva. The Baroness of São João do Rio Claro, in 1876 married the then Baron and later Marquis of Três Rios who took control of the farm up to 1893.

By the way, the year of 1876 does not only constitutes a landmark in the history of the farm with the change of its owner but also the arrival of the tracks of the São Paulo Company of Railroad to Rio Claro.

With the railroad passing on the border of the property, a station for the shipping of the coffee was constructed there (in 1900- 01 this station was the one with the biggest movement of coffee shipping among all stations of the city of Rio Claro) which allowed a more efficient transport of the production to port and sped up its development still more.

Little more than 40 years after its formation, in 1893, the farm covered an area of approximately 4,688.2 acres, therefore it expanded in more than five hundred acres; it produced 30000 arrobas of coffee, five times the production in 1861 when the number of arrobas were only 6000, placing itself as the greatest producer of coffee of the city of Rio Claro. The farmhouse had luxuries of a true urban house, normal fact in São Paulo in the golden period of the coffee expansion.

The terraces, part of them with tiles and the shed for the coffee processing machines situated in the surrounding of the farmhouse were completed with the colonies spread between the 600000 plants of coffee. There were eighty-five houses for workers.

The farm, along with all its goods was evaluated in 1893 and the transformation operated by the coffee since 1848 made the value of the property increase in 90 times in these 45 years of coffee activity. In 1893, with the death of the Marquis of Três Rios and the Marquise in the years following, the farm was inherited by Eduardo Prates married to the sister of the Marquise of Três Rios, who had not had any children.

Despite the resultant alterations which happen because the change of owner in 1895 it did not affect the ascending rhythm of the farm. Eduardo Prates sped it up even more. Owner of the farm in a very favourable period for the expansion of the coffee. Eduardo Prates, a Pope Count, in accordance to the title awarded by the Pope Lion XIII, was an active business-oriented man, a capitalist of São Paulo, in 1895 finds himself a coffee farmer, owner of Santa Gertrudes Farm, considered one of the most important coffee producers.

The pioneer in new lands was not Eduardo Prates who used all his energy in fighting against nature, but the energetic and capable owner, worried about using a more advanced technology for a greater development of his property. He was the city dweller made into farmer, who upon receiving the farm as inheritance (it had belonged to the sister of his wife), took to the field all the experience of a business-oriented man, always open to the innovations. He dedicated himself to many activities (imports and real estate), bank investments, the promotion of the São Paulo Railroad Company, the company of general warehouses of São Paulo and the company of carriers and industries.

Very active, as the time demanded, Eduardo Prates was a member of associations, for his economic interests , such as the trade and agricultural association of São Paulo and the Brazilian Agricultural Society. Eduardo Prates, among many enterprises of his life, topped it with religious and philanthropic activities, which in Brazil, an officially catholic country, was not only a test of religious fervour, it provided to the people who did this a great status in society, and in the case of Eduardo Prates, also the title of Count.

He had a passion for horse riding and was a pure blood breeder, founded and was the first president of Sociedade Hípica de São Paulo, and one of the most creative developers of the city of São Paulo and he was responsible for the first urbanistic plan carried by French architect Bouvard.

He innovated the religious rural aspect when the Lateran Church of Rome incorporated the chapel of the farm, quite a rare phenomenon, mainly because being it a chapel of a farm in a time when not even the churches of the capital São Paulo enjoyed the same indulgences granted to the Santa Gertrudes Chapel. The farm became then a model of agricultural property worth being shown to illustrious foreign and national visitors. Both Nationals and Foreigners were representative personalities of the time.

The farm, by extending its area, absorbing the areas of the neighbouring properties, constituted an exception to the process of defragmentation of the properties, generated by economic crises and problems of inheritance. The territorial growth of the farm was initiated in 1880, when the Baron of Três Rios acquired 736.72 acres and the property reached an area of 4,688.2 acres. The farm between 1897 and 1921 under the rule of Eduardo Prates was almost duplicated and reached 9,081.87 acres.

In the farm there were specialised establishments for the supplying of the resident community. There was a market, butcher's and drugstore. It had also the chapel with all its belongings in order to satisfy the spiritual necessities of the residents. It was also independent when it comes to recreation, it was the only farm of the region that provided its employees cinematographic spectacles before 1930.

In the farm there were specialised establishments for the supplying of the resident community. There was a market, butcher's and drugstore. It had also the chapel with all its belongings in order to satisfy the spiritual necessities of the residents. It was also independent when it comes to recreation, it was the only farm of the region that provided its employees cinematographic spectacles before 1930.

In relation to the installations and premises ,the area where the owner's house, the chapel and the machinery shed was the centre, that formed the axle around which all the life of the property turned. The terraces were the centre of the manipulation of the coffee and all the other parts worked in function of it. The terraces, similar to an urban square, was a source not only of economic activities, but also of leisure, recreation, as well as religious.

Other constructions were part of the set , the processing shed, the bunker silo, the sawmill and carpentry , the smith, the houses for the administrator and other workers. The farm house has influences of diverse elements. The roof falls for the side, which shows German influence, pilasters and use of forged iron as ornament are other features observed in this residence. One notices that Eduardo Prates demonstrated a great concern with the beautification of his property through the gardens around the house. The houses of the colonies were made of bricks, covered with roof tiles, constructed in one floor, most of them semi-detached, understanding each one of the four rooms of the house, three served as bedrooms and living room, a deposit and a kitchen. The bathroom had still not been incorporated.

The population of the farm, between 1905 and 1912 reached and exceeded the mark of two thousand inhabitants. In 1898 the farm house was already illuminated by acetylene gas and four years later , in 1902, a contract with the power plant of Rio Claro brought this new type of energy and illumination for the farm, the electric energy. In 1904 the telephone put the property in contact with some urban centres.

A bigger demand of energy to put the machines into motion and the constant falls of electric energy harmed the production, which made Eduardo Prates break away with the power plant of Rio Claro and brought a Wolf generator to the farm. The development of the farm and the construction of the station of the São Paulo railroad company in its border made the current city of Santa Gertrudes (1948) appear and prosper. The proximity of the farm with the capital São Paulo - only four or five hours by railway, allowed the traveller to make contact with a coffee farm in one or the maximum of two days, time enough to cover the installations and plantation. The visitors of the farm were many times invited by the own government of the state of São Paulo; other guests by the owner and his friends. The visits came generally from the capital in trains of the São Paulo Railway Company.

The importance of the farm does not lie only in the fact of it being a model property in the coffee production, worth being seen by illustrious personalities. The Farm was the most important coffee property of the city of Rio Claro, in the old São Paulo west. This model property was an example of a complex coffee capitalist company.

This farm had the biggest concentration of foreign workers and its descendants, amongst the farms of the region. It was possible to locate for the period of 1897 - 1902 Italian families who were destined to the farm, as well as national, most from the state of Ceará, that in 1920 were also directed to the property. For the period of 1903 - 1914 the registers of the Immigrants Lodge state that a few Italian, Austrian, Portuguese and Spanish families were directed to the farm, but for 1915 - 1920 the books do not present any family to the farm. However the documents of the farm show the inbound of some Italian and Spanish families, coming from Argentina, and for 1918 - 1919 the Japanese arrive in this property. For the year of 1920 the register of the Immigrants Lodge shows that more than a hundred of nationals, coming from the state of Ceará, came to the farm. For the period of 1921 - 1930, when national immigration started to become bigger than the foreigner, the Immigrants Lodge does not register any immigrant in route to that farm.

In preserved books there is information regarding the workers families, in says respect to their size, quantity of workers, their production and their incomes, besides supplying some information on the type of farming done here. European workers predominated as much in the coffee culture as in backing activities. The Italians and its descendants had always consisted the majority among the colonists; being followed by the Portuguese, Spaniards, and some of Germanic origin.

The Japanese did not adapt to the work in this property and the national ones up to 1920 had been a small minority, appearing with more intensity after this date, when a great deal of people from the state of Ceará was introduced.

Between 1895 and 1930 , the workers of Italian origin represented in average, about 65% of the man power used . This percentage was bigger in the next years to the 1900, a time when the input of Italians in Brazil was, in the turn of the century, also more voluminous.

To take care of approximately 1,000,000 of coffee plants, the farm needed to keep 150 families on the payroll, not to use workers paid on a daily basis, these, the "camaradas" increased the cost of production. For this reason, to prevent loss caused by the instability of the colonists, the constant recruitment of new families, was always the greatest concern of the farmer.

Calculations show that in the farm there would have to be contracted, in average, 35 new families every year. These families came from the immigrants lodges in São Paulo, or from the nearby towns and farms. Families for the Coffee Production: Italians and people from the north eastern state of Ceará.

The data raised at the Immigrants Lodge, on the families with destination to Santa Gertrudes , mainly mention the Italian families who were directed to the farm between 1897 - 1902 and the families from Ceará , who started to arrive in 1920. The size and composition of the families is directly related to the family structure of the country of origin, in the case of Italy, for example, the families of small proprietors, leaseholders and sharecroppers of Veneto, who had predominated in immigration to Brazil in the previous period up to 1885 were large families, made up by two or three men and their respective wives and children. On the other hand, the families from Braccianti, also in Veneto, who had formed the great majority of arms for the coffee, after 1885, according to books, were made up of five people at maximum, normally a couple with children and sometimes the father or the mother of the head. For the period of 1903 - 1914 the registers of the inns appointed 30 families of European origin to Santa Gertrudes . Of these 63% were Italian and the remaining number was formed by Austrian , Portuguese and Spanish. In 1920, the people from the state of Ceará are introduced in the farm, in a total of 132 families, most of them having an average of 4.8 people.

Os dados levantados na hospedaria dos imigrantes, sobre as famílias com destino a Santa Gertrudes, referem-se principalmente as famílias italianas que se dirigiram à fazenda entre 1897 - 1902 e as famílias cearenses. Que adentraram nesta propriedade em 1920.

Differently from the Italians, the Ceará families would include, apart from parents and brothers of the head, brothers-in-law, uncles, cousins, nephews, grandmothers and grandsons, in a clear demonstration that the requirements had been loosened regarding the composition of the family who would receive the pass for the São Paulo Coffee Farms. One curious fact is that, among the Ceará families, women quite often appeared as heads of the families, fact extremely rare between the Italian and European families . In the case of the Ceará families, most of the heads were widows, but there were also cases of single women with children and married women, without the husband, with children and other relatives.

For the coffee production, what mattered the most was the amount of apt elements for the work , especially men. An individual aged between 12 up to 60 - 65 years was considered a " work person ". It also interested the farmer to know, beside the number of work elements, the size and composition of the family, because the other members could be used in the harvest, starting from 7 or 8 years of age.

The Immigrants Lodge, an agent of man power at the time, serving the interests of the coffee, besides classifying the individuals in sex, split them into three age groups: from 0 to 12 years, 12 to 45 and over 45 years, in a clear demonstration of the importance of

knowing the potential of the work force of these families. By the way, the requirements for the family to get the subsidised pass was that they had to know agriculture and had to have at least one masculine element between 12 and 45 years of age. Of the Italians (55%) and the people from the state of Ceará (60%) were older than 12 years and were therefore considered apt for the work.

The documentation of the farm points out that 49% of the Italians and also of the people from Ceará were considered " work people ". This sample is composed by 26 Italian families with 126 people, being 62 " work people " and 101 from Ceará families with 498 people being 246 " work people ". We can estimate that all men older than 12 years were workers, so it can be deduced that the difference between the presented percentages above (55% - 49% = 6% for Italians and 60% - 49% = 11% for the people from Ceará) represents the women older than 12 that did not participate in the productive work. Applying these percentages to 26 of these families identified in the documentation of the farm we get that that 70 of the 126 people would have to be 12 years or more (36 were men and 34 women).

If all the men aged 12 years or more were considered apt for work and if the total work force was 62 people, I concluded that of the 34 women, only 26were included in the work force. The picture of the immigrant families for the coffee, at the moment of its introduction in São Paulo, leaves no doubt that independent of its origin and in contrast to what the farmers intended, numerous families and with many workers, these families were not large. They had in average five elements and relatively young.

The Family in the Coffee Production: Production and Payments. The Colonato ,when matching distinct forms of production, also provided the colonist a payment in money for the treatment and harvest and the production of its subsistence. The money received for the treatment and the harvest generally did not cover the survival needs of the family. The paid wages to the colonists varied from region to region, from farm to farm, from year to year, even inside the own farm. Its value was directly related to the conditions offered for the subsistence farming and practically had nothing to do with the offer and demand of man power.

These wages came from three sources: from the treatment, a certain number of plants of coffee, pay for unit of 1000 plants; the treatment consisted of removing any harmful weed three to five times a year; from the paid harvest for the amount of alqueires of harvested coffee (one alqueire of coffee was equivalent to 50 litres); From the daily wages, that is, days of odd jobs performed in agreement to the farmer and the necessities of the farm.

The documentation of the farm allows us to verify how much each one of the sources of monetary income represented in the total of the family income, either in relation to the size of the family, or in relation to the work force, or in relation to the years of good or bad harvest.

The treatment represented almost half of the monetary income of the colonist, while the harvest was responsible for about 39% the rest came from daily wages and other jobs. Although these proportions did not vary much when it is about the size of the family, the treatment when it is related to a larger number of workers tends to diminish while the other sources tended to slightly increase its participation in the income, relating to the number of workers in the familiar group.

The documentation of the farm allowed us to estimate the budget of a family in the property for the year of 1913. This family, composed by the husband, his wife, two adolescent sons aged between 12 and 16 years plus a small child appears in the documentation of the farm as a family of 5 people and two hoes. In 1913 they dealt with 5081 plants of coffee receiving therefore the importance of R$ 406$480, harvested 903 alqueires of coffee receiving R$ 415$500 (this was one year of excellent harvest) and executed 33.25 daily jobs totalling R$ 74$625, besides receiving R$ 90$300 as bonus for the harvest paid by the farmer to all colonists who had concluded the agricultural year in Santa Gertrudes.

Therefore, this family received from the farm the importance of R$ 986$905. Therefore, it can be inferred that the colonato system was advantageous for the families who were in their prime of productive capacity and knew how to benefit to the maximum from it . The families living in farms next to the urban centres had the option of selling the excess of its subsistence production and to make its purchases there avoiding the higher prices in the farm warehouse, at a time when the staples were sufficiently expensive.

Finally, it is necessary to state that other factor made the success or the failure of the family in this syst

Conde Prates

Dois prédios gêmeos construídos na década de 1910 e que faziam parte do plano de remodelação do Anhangabaú concebido pelo urbanista francês Joseph Bouvard. Foram projetados pelo agrônomo baiano Samuel das Neves e por seu filho arquiteto formado na Universidade da Filadélfia Cristiano das Neves ( o mesmo da Estação Sorocabana/Júlio Prestes), e seu proprietário era o Conde de Prates. Eram os prédios mais suntuosos da cidade na década de 1910, e sediaram diversas instituições importantes, como a Prefeitura Municipal, a Câmara Municipal e o Automóvel Clube.

Apesar de seu valor histórico e arquitetônico, o primeiro pavilhão foi demolido no início dos anos 50 para a construção do edifício Conde de Prates, e o segundo em janeiro de 1970, dendo sido erguido em seu lugar o edifício Mercantil Finasa.

Centenário de nascimento de Conde de Prates

Texto escrito pelo ilustre Prof. Máximo Ribeiro Nunes, do Conselho Diretor da Sociedade Amigos da Cidade, publicado em novembro de 1960 no jornal o Estado de São Paulo.

Os "erros ortográficos" existem em função do texto estar transcrito na integra de sua publicação.

A 8 de novembro de 1860, nascia em São Paulo, o ilustre paulista Eduardo Prates, mais tarde Conde de Prates, filho do Dr. Fidêncio Nepomuceno Prates e de Dona Inocência da Silva Prates, filha do Barão de Antonina. Sentindo muito cedo pendores e inclinação pela vida comercial, devotou-se do ramo dos negócios ao qual emprestou o seu espírito dinâmico e a sua invulgar capacidade de trabalho. Desposando a senhora Antônia dos Santos Silva, de velha estirpe paulista, depois Condêssa de Prates, filha do Barão de Itapetininga e da Baroneza de Tatuí, família das mais nobres e honrosas tradições brasileiras, o Conde alargou o seu campo de atividades, tornando-se adiantado agricultor e diligente pecuarista. Pelo seu espírito empreendedor, pelo seu esclarecido tino comercial, por seus marcantes sentimentos altruísticos e pelo elevado porte moral de sua personalidade, tornou-se um dos vultos mais respeitáveis e preeminentes de sua época. Se a sua inteligência e capacidade se voltaram para o mundo dos negócios, os seus elevados sentimentos foram consagrados aos desconhecidos e pequeninos a quem sempre generosamente amparou.

Fidalgo e nobre, bom e generoso, patriarca de uma das famílias de mais ricas e respeitáveis tradições de nossa sociedade, foi também o Conde de Prates um paulista autêntico que, com fibra patriótica, amou profundamente a sua terra ligando-lhe o nome aos maiores e mais significativos acontecimentos de seu tempo. A nobreza e a solenidade de seu porte, a fidalguia de seu trato, o título nobiliárquico de que era portador e sua decorosa seriedade que obrigava ao respeito, fizeram-no pontificar nos mais expressivos meios sociais e econômicos de São Paulo. Conde de Prates foi um incansável semeador de bondade e um infatigável impulsionador de relevantes empreendimentos. Possuidor de fartos recursos, não obstante absorto pelas imensas responsabilidades de suas emprêsas e pelo destaque das posições a que freqüentemente era guindado, tinha como suprema aspiração socorrer àqueles que se valiam de sua desmedida generosidade.

Eis porque a sua inconfundível personalidade fixou para sempre em São Paulo as impressões inesquecíveis de sua peregrina bondade. Aristrocrata de escól, de espírito subtil e coração adamantino o seu nome se perpetua na galeria glorificada de muitas igrejas, hospitais e orfanatos como láurea de gratidão imperecível. Homem de fé e de ação, a sua vida foi uma obra de arte e sua individualidade um símbolo de primor.

Banqueiro, capitalista, comerciante e lavrador, de beleza rara foram porém os seus gestos de filantropia e humanidade.

Na história de São Paulo, erigem-se vultos extraordinários, entre os quais fulgura o do Conde de Prates cuja existência foi um marco luminoso e um exemplo edificante à gerações que o vêm sucedendo.

Vanguardeiro de tantas e imperecíveis iniciativas, serenamente austero, elegante no trato das relações humanas, de notável tino administrativo, criou sempre ao seu redor um ambiente de cordialidade e simpatias, mercê de suas virtudes e da firmeza de seu aprimorado caráter.

Ao longo de seus 68 anos de existência, mourejaram suas idéias e seus sentimentos, em estilo edificante e verdadeiramente raro. Quantas esperanças floriram à sombra dos altares com a sua ajuda anônima e silenciosa! Ninguém jamais bateria à porta de seu palácio sem haver recebido o consôlo de uma ajuda.

Para se tracejar o perfil da alma nobre do insigne e saudoso paulista, bastaria dizer-se que os episódios mais empolgantes de sua vida foram aquêles em que deu muito de si e do que era seu aos que nada tinham ou pouco podiam esperar. Não obstante ocultar o bem que fazia e refugiar-se na mais encantadora e escrupulosa simplicidade os seus benefícios e generosos donativos não conseguiram ficar para sempre no obscurantismo. Eis porque o Papa Leão XIII houve por bem conceder-lhe o honorífico título de Conde e de Condêssa à sua espôsa. A dignificante honraria pontíficia foi a solene gratidão da Igreja Católica aos excelsos sentimentos de bondade e de caridade cristã do magnânimo e ilustre casal. Não é fácil reconstruir em palavras, uma vida tão intensamente profícua e tão pontificada dos mais assinalados serviços ao bem comum.

Nem seriam os meus estreitos recursos os mais indicados para fazê-lo. Do que sei e conheço, entretanto, posso dizer que a sua inteligência e as suas energias morais fizeram com que ainda hoje com reverente saudade resplandeça a sua lembrança nas mais nobres instituições desta cidade.

Membro da 1ª Comissão Fundadora da nova Sé Catedral Metropolitana de São Paulo em 1912, recebeu o título de grande benemérito.

A preocupação pela infância desamparada, foi uma constante em sua vida. Por longos anos foi Grande Protetor do Orfanato Cristóvão Colombo, desvelando-se com paternal carinho pelos pequeninos orfãos os quais freqüentemente visitava e que sentiram bem de perto as emoções do Conde e a sua benevolência e prodigalidade. Apostolando o amparo à pobreza, não foi todavia insensível ao sofrimento físico de seus semelhantes. Exerceu a verdadeira caridade ao ser por longos anos generoso Mordomo da Santa Casa de Misericórdia de São Paulo, a mais santa de tôdas as casas depois da Casa de Deus. Do Convento de Nossa Senhora da Luz, foi, por largo espaço, Síndico e Protetor. E de tal forma o foi que, embora se tratando de Comunidade Contemplativa de freiras reclusas, tinha o Conde licença especial do sempre lembrado Dom Duarte Leopoldo e Silva para ver e ouvir as religiosas auscultando-lhes as dificuldades e ouvindo-lhes os anseios do Convento.

Expargiu, indistintamente, por esta cidade de São Paulo a sua incontrolável bondade.

Assim é que foi também Grande Benemérito da Casa da Divina Providência e Provedor e Protetor da Igreja de Santo Antônio, da Praça do Patriarca, que lhe mereceu o mais dadivoso amparo. As Casas de Educação não lhe ficaram esquecidas. E o Liceu Coração de Jesus foi uma delas.

Quem entrar pelo vetusto Educandário, deparará logo em lugar de honra com o quadro a óleo do venerando Conde, grande benfeitor daquela glória do Ensino, no Brasil, que assim o consagrou na sublimidade de sua gratidão.

Foram tantos e tão grandes os benefícios que ali prestou que não é possível aqui enumerá-los.

Lembrarei apenas que, certa vez, incendiando-se a cozinha do colégio, foi êle quem por 30 dias, manteve a alimentação de 400 alunos internos. Gestos assim tão bélos e tão raros edificam os que praticam. No comêço dêste século, foi êle como que o pai dos Salesianos de São Paulo. A para de auxílios financeiros, ofereceu os sinos que ainda hoje ornamentam o campanário do Santuário do Sagrado Coração de Jesus, doando ainda em nome da senhora Condêssa o altar de Santo Antônio, mandando mais tarde restaurar o grande órgão que houvera sido ofertado por sua nobre sogra, a Baronêza de Tatuí. Católico por convicção, foi Provedor da Irmandade de Nosso Senhor dos Passos e Irmão do Santíssimo da Sé Catedral de São Paulo. Por tudo isso e por muito mais que as minhas palavras desconhecem ou não sabem dizer, recebeu também êle o Título de Comendador Locotenente da Ordem Eqüestre do Santo Sepulcro de Jerusalém. Que coisa extraordinária e fascinante essa a de poder aliar uma vida tão espiritual e caritativa ao mundo das fecundas e preocupantes realizações materiais! Pois o Conde realizou êsse prodígio. Cidadão de pensamentos sádios e de retas intenções arrebatava-se também pelos grandes e audaciosos empreendimentos materiais.

Vivia-lhe o espírito progressista do pioneirismo. Assim é que foi fundador e Presidente do Banco de São Paulo que ainda hoje opera e prestigía os meios financêiros da Capital. Foi fundador e 1º Presidente da Sociedade Rural Brasileira para cujo crescimento e prosperidade concorreu preponderantemente. A Companhia Paulista de Estradas de Ferro, a mais perfeita organização do gênero na América Latina, teve-o por muitos anos como seu Vice-Presidente e Diretor. Fundou e foi Presidente da Companhia de Armazens Gerais do Estado de São Paulo e de muitas outras emprêsas, tais como, a Companhia de Minerais Santa Rosa, a Companhia Pastoril de Barretos, a Companhia Paulista de Navegação e a Associação Comercial. As práticas desportivas também lhe merecem a simpatia.

Tanto assim que em 1911, foi fundador e 1º Presidente da Sociedade Hípica Paulista que cultiva o mais elegante e aristrocráta dos esportes. Devotado à sua terra, o Conde de Prates contribuiu decisivamente para o seu engrandecimento e vertiginoso progresso.

Atendendo que sua cidade estava predestinada a um desmesurado desenvolvimento edificou 3 prédios no centro da cidade, os mais importantes da época, cuja construção constituiu arrojado cometimento e num gesto característicamente seu dôou à cidade de São Paulo várias áreas de terreno na rua Líbero Badaró e no Vale do Anhangabaú. Não hesito um só instante em afirmar que o Conde de Prates foi, no passado, um dos grandes beneméritos desta metropóle tentacular. Consagrando-se também à lavoura, foi agricultor progressista, proprietário da Fazenda de Santa Gertrudes, cujo nome foi dado à estação e à vila proxima hoje elevada à categoria de município. A 162 Klmts. da Capital, a Fazenda de Santa Gertrudes recebeu, no passado e hoje hospeda, figuras ilustres e personalidades da mais alta expressão mundial.

Homem de admirável visão, de experiência objetiva, as suas expansões foram sempre de grande alcance o que o levou a transformar a sua propriedade agrícola naquêle empolgante cenário de beleza e de produtividade.

Era para lá que se retirava ao encontro de justos momentos de lazer em meio à poesia e à solidão dos lagos, das arvores, dos pomares e de seus cafezais. Hoje aquela béla e tradicional propriedade pertence ao Cónde e Condêssa Guilherme de Prates. Paulista de lei, de ouro de melhor quilate, deixou para a posteridade dignificantes exemplos de honradez, de vida laboriosa e de indizível bondade.

Lembro-me, com fidelidade que a mim mesmo surpreende, de quando me chamou à sua cabeceira dois dias antes morrer. Era então aluno do Liceu Coração de Jesus. Perguntou-me pelos padres e pelo Colégio. Relembrou sacerdotes, cênas, personagens e fatos memoráveis que eu não chegara a conhecer. Depois pediu que me retirasse. Nos derradeiros momentos de sua vida dava a prova da sua velha admiração e grande aprêço pela Obra Salesiana.

Sinto que o eminente brasileiro procurou estimular-se na perfeição de sua vida, preparando-se para a eternidade. Brazões, honrarias e dignidades nem de leve lhe conseguiram influenciar o espírito. A altanaria de seu porte escondia uma grande modéstia e as melhores virtudes. De seu consórcio com a Condêssa de Prates deixou quatro filhos: Conde Guilherme Prates, Eduardo dos Santos Prates e Joaquim dos Santos Prates e dr. José Prates, já falecidos.

A 22 de março de 1928, o povo de São Paulo era surpreendido com a desoladora notícia de seu falecimento. Uma tarja de luto cobriu tristemente a Paulicéia que êle tanto amara. A sociedade paulistana soluçou o desaparecimento daquêle que em vida tanto a enobrecera e mais ainda a dignificara.

Hoje, ao celebrar-se o centenário do seu nascimento, a cidade de São Paulo, os homens do seu tempo e as instituições a que pertenceu ou se valeram de seu amparo, evocando a figura de um dos mais completos varões nascidos nesta abençoada terra, que é orgulho do mundo Latina, rendem-lhe comovidamente a reverenciosa homenagem da sua sempre viva gratidão por todo o bem que aqui fez e pelos inapagáveis exemplos que aqui a todos legou.

Que as préces que hoje se erguerem aos Céus, e as flores no Campo Santo se depositarem, sejam o símbolo indelével da permanência de nossa saudade à imorredoura memória do inolvidável Conde paulista.

- Artigo retirado da Revista da Sociedade Rural Brasileira, "A RURAL".
Edição - 476 de Dezembro de 1960.
Escrito por Alberto Prado Guimarães

Obs: Os "erros ortográficos" existem para manter a cópia do texto na integra de sua publicação.

(Relembrando a vida agropecuária, fatos e problemas do passado, em confronto com os da atualidade.)

O primeiro presidente da rural

Comemorou-se em 8 de novembro último, o Centenário do Nascimento do Conde de Prates, o primeiro presidente da Sociedade Rural Brasileira.

Filho de família riograndense, sendo seu pai o Dr. Fidêncio Prates, médico doutorado pela Faculdade de Medicina do Rio de Janeiro, e sua mãe D. Inocência da Silva Prates, filha dos Barões de Antonina, desde logo se manifestou Eduardo Prates infenso à política em que, naturalmente, teria feito carreira, visto como seu pai fôra por duas vêzes deputado pela Assembléia Geral na Legislatura do Império. Era costume no tempo da monarquia, transmitirem-se aos filhos essas posições representativas, de modo a se manter a tradição da família de co-responsável na administração pública. Êsse desinteresse pela política êle a comprovou quando, por ocasião da proclamação da República, a sua projeção social em nosso meio, guindar-lhe-ia fàcilmente aos mais altos postos já por si e pelo fato de ser primo-irmão de um prócer da nova situação, de grande prestígio no Rio Grande do Sul em todo o país, o estadista até hoje lembrado com respeito que foi Julio Prates de Castilho.

Ainda muito moço, em 1886, contraia matrimônio com a Sra. D. Antonia dos Santos Silva, filha do Barão de Itapetininga e irmã da Marquesa de Três Rios, família de grandes cabedais, inclusive proprietária de grande área central na velha cidade de Piratininga, onde, Eduardo Prates ficou possuidor de uma verdadeira fazenda no local em que se encontram hoje o Viaduto do Chá - o Largo do Piques - Ruas Líbero Badaró e Formosa, enfim o grande centro da atual Paulicéa.

Espírito empreendedor e meticuloso nos negócios, distinguiu-se logo nos meios comerciais e industriais, figurando o seu nome desde então na presidência e direção das maiores organizações da época. Assim foi diretor da Companhia Paulista de Estradas de Ferro, do Banco de São Paulo, fundador e presidente da Companhia Central de Armazéns Gerais e da Companhia Minerais "Santa Rosa"; fundador e presidente da Companhia Frigorífica e Pastoril de Barretos e da Companhia de Navegação, além de iniciador de muitas outras emprêsas que floresceram grandemente com a sua hábil direção, das quais daremos como exemplo a Associação Comercial de São Paulo e a Companhia Nacional de Auto - Transportes, a primeira que realizou o serviço de auto-ônibus no Brasil.

De tenacidade inquebrantável mostrou-se, outrossim, quando sem medir sacrifícios, se dispôs a reunir glebas de uma fazenda onde se encontravam 32 condomínios, em uma só propriedade - a até hoje afamada Fazenda "Santa Gertrudes", nas proximidades de Rio Claro, a sala de visitas para os viajantes de escól. Aí o seu capricho de fazendeiro adiantado se fêz destacar não só pelo cuidado com que tratava os seus cafèzais, como, pela variedade de plantações e aparelhagem perfeita para então, atendendo nos mínimos detalhes da fazenda, quer na parte de residência senhorial, máquinas de benefício, arborização, pomares e a parte social dos colonos, a começar pela rica capela até hoje carinhosamente conservada pelo seu filho Guilherme. Lá na Fazenda "Santa Gertrudes", como em São Paulo cuidando da Igreja de Santo Antonio por êle mantida na parte mais central da cidade de São Paulo, continua o filho extremoso a obra religiosa de sua piedosa progenitora a Condessa de Prates que, em consonância com a generosidade de seu espôso, sempre contribuiu a mancheias para as instituições pias, como a Santa Casa de Misericórdia de São Paulo, Liceu do Sagrado Coração de Jesus, Orfanato Cristóvan Colombo, Recolhimento da Luz e quantos outros que atestam o espírito cristão da nossa grei. Ao se formar em nossa Capital uma Comissão Promotora da Construção da Nova Catedral, foi o Conde de Prates convidado pelo saudoso arcebispo D. Duarte Leopoldo e Silva, para presidência dessa Comissão nobilíssima, tendo figurado como dos mais entusiastas e maiores contribuintes para a ereção do monumental templo-orgulho de São Paulo e do Brasil. Êsses esfôrços e munificiência, levaram o Arcebispo a conceder-lhe o título nobiliárquico de Conde da Santa Sé.

Quando foi de se realizar o plano Bouvard, de transformação da cidade provinciana na moderna "urbs", deixando de lado qualquer interêsse pessoal, com magnanimidade se colocou o Conde de Prates ao lado do Prefeito Antonio Prado, contribuindo com a demolição de prédios, alargamento de espaços intermediários e plantação de jardins e, sobretudo com a construção de valiosíssimos edifícios de especial arquitetura, adequada ao embelezamento do Vale do Anhangabaú, para que a nossa capital viesse a ostentar êsse aspecto de metrópole que tanto encanta os estrangeiros e que lhe dá a fisionomia artística, por que é reconhecida em todo o mundo.

Êsse exemplo de abnegação e amor à sua terra, deve ser ainda hoje encarecido, quando não se vêm mais comumente desses gestos de fidalguia.

Tendo sido grande em tantos ramos de atividade, o título de que mais se orgulhava era o de agricultor e pecuarista, título êsse que o havia elevado aos mais altos píncaros, sendo modelar a sua Fazenda "Santa Gertrudes". Em Santa Gertrudes, além de encontrarem os visitantes ilustres um grande adiantamento agronomico, iam êles desfrutar os encantos da hospitalidade paulistana nos seus mais altos requintes de distinção e de fidalguia.

Falecido em 23 de março de 1928, a sua memória é sempre reverenciada nesta casa, de que foi fundador e presidente efetivo e honorário, como dos mais adiantados agricultores e dos mais prestantes cidadãos da terra bandeirante.


A propósito da comemoração do Centenário de Nascimento do Conde de Prates, cabe aqui um fato pouco conhecido, mas que faz reviver as virtudes da antiga gente paulistana, através das gerações que se vão sucedendo, zelosas das tradições avitas.

Em certo momento, pretendeu-se, a título de remodelação da cidade, demolir a Igreja de Santo Antonio, o que com o valor enorme da desapropriação, poderia dar lugar a ser o templo instalado mais magestosamente em outro lugar. Nessa ocasião o Conde Guilherme Prates, herdeiro das qualidades senhorís de seus ilústres pais, obtemperou ao Arcebispo que não seria com a sua aquiescência que tal se faria, uma vêz que era mantida por si e pela família a Igreja pelos seus antepassados ali erigida no coração da cidade. As observações dos filhos do Conde de Prates, colocaram fundo no coração de D. Duarte, que assim impediu se retirasse da hoje Praça do Patriarca o templo onde rende preito de espiritualidade o temperamento irrequieto do paulistano, mal apontado como materialista e ganhador de dinheiro. Em Nova York, em Wall Street, visitando a modesta Trinity Church, lembramo-nos da Igreja de Santo Antonio e do belo gesto do filho do Conde de Prates defendendo a tradição de religiosidade do nosso povo. Também lá no torvelinho dos negócios é na Casa de Deus, pequena e simples, onde se apaziguam as paixões e se amainam as ambições da moderna Babilonia que é Nova York.

São Paulo, Dezembro de 1960.


Washington Luiz Highway, 165 km - Sta Gertrudis - SP - BR View map
Scenario novel
Scenario novel The aesthetic beauty and preservation of Finance of the golden era of coffee led to its use as the setting for novels of the time. See the gallery of novels written in the farm